[PLUG] Probably will return my system 76 Gazelle

Leander S. Harding lsh at lsh.io
Wed May 4 20:24:18 UTC 2016

I'll third the nigh-invulnerability of ThinkPads. My main personal
machine is a T400 that's been through absolute hell, was used when I
bought it, and in the past four years has needed only a harddrive
(after the stock one succumbed to, ahem, an out-of-operating-spec
instantaneous acceleration), a screen (after being crushed by the
motorized seat of my BMW, and the casing itself survived unscathed),
and a replacement trackpad assembly (because the mouse button that
took the brunt of the crushing force in the screen incident eventually
became unreliable after several months).

Also the keyboard is amazing and there's an actual third mouse button
and it's easier to perform physical repairs on than most desktops.

I will say though that I'm firmly in the camp that there's been a
steady decline in build quality and keyboard feel over the years. I
had a W520 an employer gave me for a while and it didn't seem
discernably better than an average consumer laptop.

-Leander