[PLUG] Probably will return my system 76 Gazelle

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed May 4 20:40:54 UTC 2016

On Wed, 4 May 2016 12:40:57 -0700
Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> dijo:

>Thanks for the offer, but I think I want something a little more
>modern. On the 76 I got fond of the performance provided by the ssd.
>Snappy response  to launching applications is habit forming.  I have a
>virtually new 2.5" 128G SSD that my son  gave me.  It would be nice to
>put it into service.

I heartily agree with the SSD, and not just because of the speed. When I
got my System76 I added a 512GB SSD and set it up with separate
partitions for / and ~/, so that my entire operation was on it. When I
had to send the machine back to System76 for a warranty repair
(excellent service, btw), I removed the SSD before shipping it back.
Then I bought an SSD to USB carrier for $20 or so from Fry's, put the
SSD into it, and booted to it using my five-year old Thinkpad. It ran
slow because the Thinkpad doesn't have the CPU speed of the System76,
but everything was exactly as it had been before. Xubuntu 14.04 even
adjusted the video and wireless seamlessly. My inconvenience at having
to send the System76 back for repair was negligible.

Of course, this could also have been done with a physical disk, but it
was less hassle with the SSD. SSDs rule.