[PLUG] Probably will return my system 76 Gazelle

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed May 4 21:05:31 UTC 2016

On Wed, 4 May 2016, Leander S. Harding wrote:

> I will say though that I'm firmly in the camp that there's been a
> steady decline in build quality and keyboard feel over the years. I
> had a W520 an employer gave me for a while and it didn't seem
> discernably better than an average consumer laptop.

I agree. ThinkPads built up until 2011 were unquestionably the most
consistently reliable and solid laptops not made by Apple.

After that, my experience with Lenovo grew spotty. For every decent
machine, there were two that I'd rank fair-to-poor.

I haven't bought a non-Apple laptop in a couple years, but personally
I'd take a look at what Dell is offering. Dell's servers have
definitely improved since the company returned to private ownership in
late 2013, and it wouldn't surprise me to discover that Dell laptops
have similarly improved.

Dell offers "Developer" models pre-loaded with Ubuntu -- and even if
that's not your distro of choice, it means there's a good chance it
works well with other distributions of similar vintage.