[PLUG] Snappy response not so snappy anymore

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Thu May 5 16:01:10 UTC 2016

On 05/05/2016 08:29 AM, Bill Barry wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 7:54 AM, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:
>
>> My desktop machine used to respond quickly to the opening of a program,
>> or the return from screen saver. Now those actions are slow. The
>> programs appear to run fine. This didn't used to be the case, as
>> recently as just a few months ago. The most noticeable thing is when
>> returning from screen saver. I have two monitors, one VGA and the other
>> DVI. The VGA screen does come back quickly, but the DVI screen takes a
>> couple of seconds. And when it does, the windows that are open are blank
>> for another second before their content returns.
>>
>> Any recommendations on where to start looking for why this happens and
>> how to fix it?
>>
>> <snip>
> Try running top to see which applications are using which resources.

VirtualBox, floats between 15% and 19% of CPU and 27% of memory.
Xorg is next with 2.3% CPU and 0.9% MEM.
The others drift up and down, sometimes moving ahead of Xorg, but always
with lowish numbers. That's while typing this email. When I start typing
in LibreOffice Writer soffice.bin moves up to number 2 with about 5% CPU
and 1.7% MEM.

In VirtualBox I'm running Win7 which is running GearPlayer4, my USB foot
pedal controlled transcription player. I usually leave that running,
even when I'm not transcribing. I'll try shutting it down after
finishing today's work, and see if it makes any difference to the rest
of the machine.

Thanks for the recommendation.

--
Regards,