[PLUG] Snappy response not so snappy anymore

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Thu May 5 22:52:04 UTC 2016

On 05/05/2016 10:10 AM, Neal wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:
>> top - 09:37:44 up 25 days, 15:53,  2 users,  load average: 0.80, 0.44, 0.42
>> Tasks: 225 total,   2 running, 223 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
>> %Cpu(s):  3.6 us,  4.5 sy,  0.0 ni, 91.7 id,  0.3 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,
>> 0.0 st
> I'm so far out of the "practical Linux performance debugging" loop it
> ain't funny, especially for desktops as the only Linux I've run in the
> past many years is Ubuntu Server, from a command line. No screensaver
> to worry about. So I'm somewhat blindly suggesting it "feels" a lot
> like a hard drive / network delay on wakeup.
>
> Have you done anything with mounted network drives lately, removed
> them from the server but not your path or otherwise created something
> that might need to timeout before your desktop can resume?

I regularly connect to a couple of other machines in the house, but
always through Samba, or in the case of my wife's Win7 machine, from my
virtual Win7 machine to hers using MS's tool.

> Do you have a tool that can show how busy the hard drive is during the
> seconds the system is waking up? (Is there even such a tool?)

I haven't found one, but I got caught up in work.

> Is the
> HD access light on constantly during resume?

I haven't noticed. The box is under my desk. I'll watch for it the next
time.

> Have you tried switching to a SSD? ;-)

No. I have a 1TB drive with only about half of it used, and access speed
hasn't really been a problem.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens