[PLUG] slightly banged-up Thunderbird email archives

Brian Scrivner captainplanet at hevanet.com
Tue May 10 22:34:42 UTC 2016

Here's an odd question which I've searched many forums and haven't seen
a good answer, although the question has been asked a few times. In
Thunderbird on Linux Mint 17, I have a huge email archive that might be
slightly corrupted or suffer from formatting problems. Often when I copy
messages to a new folder, the folder ends up with one or more "unread"
messages with blank subject line and sometimes a date in the distant
past, to fix this I use the "Repair Folder" in the folder's Properties
then the messages appear as I expect.

I have a large number of folders which organize various volunteer
activities, friends and relatives, saved humor, employment-related, etc.
The email archive has been transferred from Windows, to Mac, to Windows,
to Linux... I forget what all. Some of the messages were received online
or in another app ([cough]Outlook[cough]) before I transferred them to
TB. I imagine that the folders/files have gotten quite beat up in all
this time, maybe there's corruption or file formatting problems.

Does anyone know of a way to make TB re-save them all, not just new
copies but filtering them through the latest TB so that they are saved
as they would be if new messages/folders without retaining any old
formatting? I want to shake this corruption/formatting problem, since it
comes up often enough now that it is a big nuisance.

Thanks!

  - Brian