[PLUG] Creating a home network

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed May 11 17:13:17 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 07:51:45AM -0700, Larry Brigman wrote:
> All of 1) can be handled by a network switch.  Network switches can be
> chained together to allow more connections.

Surplus stores.  Plenty of perfectly good 10/100 8 port
(even 24 and 32 ports) switches out there, replaced by
gigabit switches.  There's a whole shelf of them at
ecoBinary in Beaverton.  For my own office, I scored a
32 port gigabit switch with a broken power supply that
I knew how to fix.

I use the huge bandwidth for backups every night, but
normal users less obsessive about backup can easily
get by with 100 mbps.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com