[PLUG] Does anyone have experience installing OpenBSD and/or a Live CD I could use?

David dafr+plug at dafr.us
Thu May 12 02:44:08 UTC 2016

On 05/11/2016 06:59 PM, Vedanta Teacher wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>    Does anyone have experience installing OpenBSD for civilian use and/or a
> Live CD set?
>
> I have a relatively new Dell Insperon lap top W/6 gigs RAM and 1 TB HDD .
> 3000 series,
> model 3558., Intel i3-5051U so, I'm 99.9%+ sure its an AMD64 type of chip.
>
> #0: I don't have a Live CD so I tried to download the 5.9 version from a
> HTTP mirror
> in San Francisco ( http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.9/amd64/ ). I
> burned it to
> a CD but it didn't work. I've gone all of the way from just trying :
> install59.iso
> to burning and trying all of the images on the:
> Index of/pub/OpenBSD/5.9/amd64
> but nothing worked.

<clip>

Unfortunately, I have no (or at least not recent) experience with
installation of OpenBSD.

Have you consulted the README and INSTALL.amd64 files? (No snarkiness
intended here.)

<http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.9/README>
<http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/5.9/amd64/INSTALL.amd64>

It appears there are some "gotcha" issues with this release per the
README, and the second file gives you the information to use
install59.iso to create the necessary bootable media.

I don't recall the exact cli command using dd to create the CD, or I'd
pass that on here. If you have other software burning software, you can
use that, or the dd command is easy to locate with your favorite search
engine if needed.

There are also directions to create a bootable USB as well.

Hopefully this gets you going in the right direction.

dafr