[PLUG] painfully slow Fedora 23 Workstation Live boot

David dafr+plug at dafr.us
Thu May 12 20:06:35 UTC 2016

On 05/12/2016 12:53 PM, Galen Seitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I booted 64 bit Fedora 23 Workstation Live off of a 2 GB USB flash drive
> on an AMD Sempron system (cpuid 020fc2).  It took at least 10 minutes to
> get to the screen that allows selecting between Live and Install.
> Knoppix boots in one tenth the time or less.  Is this normal?  Is there
> something I can do to speed it up?
>
> thanks,
> galen

I'm going to guess it's systemd that's the issue, but that's just
pointing a finger at something that I'm not fond of. If it's like my
laptop, I suspect it's one of the network interfaces that are waiting
for something to complete. (My system can take anywhere from 1:15-1:40
to complete and move on.)

If I recall correctly, with CentOS there is a function key that can be
pressed on the install disc that allows you to get "verbose" mode which
just shows the old school "$process [OK|FAIL]" stuff. There may be the
same option for Fedora.

dafr