[PLUG] painfully slow Fedora 23 Workstation Live boot

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Thu May 12 21:28:19 UTC 2016

On 05/12/16 13:06, David wrote:
> On 05/12/2016 12:53 PM, Galen Seitz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I booted 64 bit Fedora 23 Workstation Live off of a 2 GB USB flash drive
>> on an AMD Sempron system (cpuid 020fc2).  It took at least 10 minutes to
>> get to the screen that allows selecting between Live and Install.
>> Knoppix boots in one tenth the time or less.  Is this normal?  Is there
>> something I can do to speed it up?
>>
>> thanks,
>> galen
>>

> I'm going to guess it's systemd that's the issue, but that's just
> pointing a finger at something that I'm not fond of. If it's like my
> laptop, I suspect it's one of the network interfaces that are waiting
> for something to complete. (My system can take anywhere from 1:15-1:40
> to complete and move on.)
>
> If I recall correctly, with CentOS there is a function key that can be
> pressed on the install disc that allows you to get "verbose" mode which
> just shows the old school "$process [OK|FAIL]" stuff. There may be the
> same option for Fedora.

Thanks for the response.  I tried removing quiet and rhgb from the
kernel command line, but I didn't seem to get much more in the way of
output.  I also tried the Fedora 24 beta.  It seemed to boot slightly
faster, but still dog slow.  I'm now trying Xubuntu 16.04.  It's also
very slow, so now I'm inclined to think the slowness is a function of my
flash drive.  I may try a different one and see if there is any change.

galen
--
Galen Seitz
galens at seitzassoc.com