[PLUG] 76 laptop returned; used Lenovo acquired

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Fri May 13 02:37:11 UTC 2016

On the same morning that the 76 was shipped back, I went to EcoBinary at
Keith's suggestion.  Great idea.  I now have a new-looking Lenovo L420
($180).

I want some advice on setting it up.  It has a 320G HD; 4G ram.  I have a
128G SSD.  I want to switch from current Windows 7 Pro to Ubuntu, but put
the W7 into VBox, along with my present Windows 2000.  I will run a couple
of older programs in the W2K and a couple of newer programs in the W7.
Most work will be done in Ubuntu; the performance of the virtual machines
is not very important.  How might I best configure this?

The max. ram this will take is 8G.  The seller said he thought currently
the 4G is in one stick.  Assuming that is correct, is it ok to add a 2nd 4G
stick, or should  they both be of the same vintage?

I was able to find a Hardware Maintenance Manual, so with some study I may
be able to answer the last of these questions myself.

Thanks for the advice..

-Denis