[PLUG] Does anyone have experience installing OpenBSD and/or a Live CD I could use?

Bryan Linton plug at shoshoni.info
Fri May 13 09:06:40 UTC 2016

On 2016-05-12 20:03:39, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2016 07:34:44 +0900
> Bryan Linton <plug at shoshoni.info> dijo:

> >> I just downloaded it. Did I get the latest snapshot?
>
> >No, the 5.9 indicates that it is a release directory.  The latest
> >snapshot would be at:
> >	http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/amd64/
> >
> >Also, one of the OpenBSD developers runs this site:
> >	https://rhaalovely.net/up2date.html
> >
> >It's updated daily with the dates and times of the snapshots on
> >all OpenBSD mirrors, so you can check and see which ones have the
> >latest snapshot before downloading.
>
> Obviously I am not nearly smart enough to use BSD, since I can't make
> heads or tails of the folders and what is what.
>
> I should add that my motivation is to have the latest snapshot
> available at the Clinic this Sunday. The reason I want to download it
> ahead of time is that we have poor bandwidth at Free Geek, especially
> with a dozen Linux-heads in the room all trying to use it at the same
> time.
>
> I anticipated being able to find an ISO of the install files, to be
> burned to optical media or USB drive. Apparently that thinking is wrong.

I wouldn't be quite so self deprecating  :)

If I came across as anything other than wanting to be genuinely
helpful, then I apologize.  After re-reading my original message,
I can see how it could be interpreted as sounding somewhat curt.
If that was how it came across, then I apologize for wording
myself poorly.

OpenBSD just does things differently is all.  I'm sure figuring
out how the various Linux distros package their CDs also had a
small learning curve at first too.  Indeed, since I'm not a Linux
user, I find that I myself have had a hard time figuring out which
ISO to download from certain distros.

As another poster pointed out,
	http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/amd64/install60.iso
would indeed be the latest snapshot.

Be careful of the other .iso in the OpenBSD directories, it's
meant to be used more like a bootable floppy (the ~8 MB filesize
should be a giveaway that it couldn't contain the entire system
anyway) and used for net installs.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html  Might be a good place to
have bookmarked for everyone at the clinic.  It's focused on
getting and installing OpenBSD, so odds are any common issues will
have a solution posted there.

Again, I apologize if my original message came across as being
curt.  My intention really was to try and be helpful, since I know
getting over the first hurdle of installing OpenBSD tends to be
people's biggest stumbling block, and I welcome any and all people
who want to give OpenBSD a try!  :)

--
Bryan