[PLUG] Recommended Card Reader for Ubuntu 14

David dafr+plug at dafr.us
Wed May 18 01:56:28 UTC 2016

On 05/17/2016 05:50 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> On 05/17/2016 04:21 PM, David wrote:
>> On 05/17/2016 04:10 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
>>
>> <...>
>>
>> Try checking out this resolution from 2014:
>>
>> <http://askubuntu.com/questions/499856/ubuntu-14-04-automatically-mount-usb-drive-without-clicking-on-it-manually>
>>
>> Looks like a package might not be installed by default, or not with the
>> global packages you selected at install.
>
> Sure enough, it was not loaded. I loaded it using Synaptic. I tried
> inserting my card reader. Nothing appeared to happen. I tried running
> lsusb, but it hangs, as in when I hit <enter> nothing appears after the
> cursor in the terminal window. I can close the window, but it complains
> that it will close the process. After un-installing usbmount, lsusb
> still hangs.

Dare I ask if you considered or actually rebooted after installation?
While an obnoxious step most of the time, this is hook related and the
kernel may not respond well (in rare instances) when packages are added.

You'll probably have to reboot to clear the lsusb issue if you can't
find which process is keeping it bound up.

dafr