[PLUG] Metal roofs and wireless?

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 18:43:35 UTC 2016

> Hello,
>
> Might anyone know if a metal roof impact wifi and mobile support
> support? Russell?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Michael
>
> After working with wireless exclusively and extensively in the past year
at Open-Mesh, I'd say it really depends on a few things such as:

What type of AP is being used and where it's installed.

Is the radio high power, such as 26 dBm / 400 mW?

Does the AP have small internal or large external antennas?

Is it mounted on the ceiling or near the edge of the metal roof?

The most troublesome affect metal has on radio waves is that it refracts
and disperses them.  This is called multi-path interference. An AP that has
a 2 x 2 or 3 x 3 MIMO antenna configuration can actually take advantage of
mult-path interference,

Have you done a WiFi site survey with a heat map in the space where WiFi is
being provided? I ask because you'd be really surprised by how different
materials and obstacles affect the radio signal propagation pattern.

Cheers,

Mike