[PLUG] Re-doing ssh key phrase and key type

Jim Garrison jhg at jhmg.net
Wed Nov 2 16:05:33 UTC 2016

On 11/2/2016 5:56 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Nov 2016, Jim Garrison wrote:
>
>> If you generated a new keypair, you'll have to transfer the public key to
>> the target system (the one you want to connect TO) and put it in
>> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys. ssh-copy-id does this but it must be able to ssh
>> into the target system, either with the old private key or a password. If
>> you cannot ssh into the target system currently, then you cannot deploy
>> the new public key over the network. You must find some other way to get
>> the public key to the target.
>
> Jin,
>
>    I thought this was the case. After reading the ssh-copy-id man page and
> some web fora threads I thought that I'd be asked to provide my password on
> the target/remote host before ssh-copy-id did its thing. But, the ssh
> connection is being refused in both directions so I'm not asked for a
> password.

If you have password authentication disabled on the host you must
use the old private key.  If for some reason the old private key is
no longer usable (i.e. forgot passphrase, or public key no longer
on host) then you'll need to transfer the public key by physical
means.

--
Jim Garrison (jhg at acm.org)
PGP Keys at http://www.jhmg.net RSA 0x04B73B7F DH 0x70738D88