[PLUG] Enabling bi-directional ssh

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Nov 8 22:59:59 UTC 2016

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016, Paul Mullen wrote:

> Running `ssh-agent` will start up a new ssh-agent process and leave it
> running. That's probably not what you want. (The output of ssh-agent is
> meant to be eval'd by shell scripts.)

Paul,

   And this should occur when I log in. In ~/.bash_profile (on both hosts) is
the line:

[ -z "$SSH_AGENT_PID" ] && tty -s && exec ssh-agent bash --login

> What are the values of the SSH environment variables exported in your
> shell?  What does `env | grep SSH` say?

   On the server (salmo) this returns:

$ env | grep SSH
SSH_AGENT_PID=23572
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-mjcvdSB75KN0/agent.18869

   On the portable (typha) it returns the bash prompt; no agent running.

> How many ssh-agent processes are currently running? There should be
> one with a PID matching $SSH_AGENT_PID. If more than one is running,
> kill the ones that don't match. (I assume you're the only user logged
> in to the system.)

   Yes, I'm the only logged in user. Manually running ssh-agent creates the
socket and PID; still no environment variables to display.