[PLUG] Enabling bi-directional ssh

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.net
Tue Nov 8 23:24:31 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 02:59:59PM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> Yes, I'm the only logged in user. Manually running ssh-agent creates
> the socket and PID; still no environment variables to display.

Manually running ssh-agent will start up another process, but it won't
export any environment variables.  You have to do that yourself.
(This is unnecesssary if an ssh-agent process was already started
automatically at login, either via an X display manager or
~/.bash_profile.)

Since you don't have any ssh environment variables set on your typha
login, kill any existing ssh-agent processes that belong to you
(`killall ssh-agent`) and start a fresh process.  This time, run `eval
$(ssh-agent)`.  It should only output a single line, "Agent pid nnnn".
Now, you should have environment variables set.  Verify with `env |
grep SSH`.

--
Paul Mullen