[PLUG] Linux Laptop Recommendation

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 00:34:41 UTC 2016

On 11/11/2016 11:46 PM, Michael Barnes wrote:
> I may be in the market for a new, inexpensive laptop for Linux. Nothing
> fancy, but would like something relatively current. I'm looking for
> something fairly lightweight and small, in the 10-11 inch range. I'd like
> to completely wipe it and install a fresh Linux distro, probably Ubuntu to
> start with. I know in the past, the Asus eee laptop was fairly popular. I
> don't really want to spend a lot on this.
>
> Thanks for any ideas,
> Michael

I've had good luck with Dell and ASUS and MSI, although MSI tends to be
a bit flimsy.  Most hardware these days are well supported but there are
still the occasional wifi, bluetooth and power management issue (mostly
suspend/resume).  You do need to check to see how easy the cases are to
open for upgrades.

There are good reviews on: Dell XPS 13

If you are not tied to a particular brand, you should check out
https://system76.com/laptops
http://zareason.com/shop/Laptops/

I currently run Slackware on Dell Latitude E7440, Asus X200CA, and older
MSI U123 atom netbook (all with SSD drives!).

Have fun!

-Ed