[PLUG] Linux job hunting...

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 14:30:58 UTC 2016

Hi Michael,

Advice I give to anyone who wants to work in tech is to work in tech!
Contribute to open source, work on a project for your portfolio, expand
your horizons - I realize this was kind of what school was supposed to do
for you, but if you find yourself without the skills for the jobs you want,
as someone who knows one programming language, you should be able to pick
up others pretty easily.  If you want my opinion, Java is a good feather to
have in your cap (some people poo-poo it, but it's not going anywhere and
has an incredible ecosystem and is really well-optimized for lots of
tasks), but something front-end (javascript in the form of Node or Angular
perhaps) or something that can span the stack a little better (Ruby,
Python) might be a good one to add to your resume.

I don't know how you learn, but I only learn by doing, so making a sample
project while you learn gives you an instant portfolio that you can host
for free on GitHub, seems to me.

Another option for breaking into tech is starting in developer support.
Places in town like New Relic are always hiring folks who can program -
you'll be working on interesting technical problems with developers (both
folks inside the company as well as customers) and learning as you go - I
joined that team with negligible python experience for instance, and came
out understanding quite a bit more, able to write API wrappers and having
some code on github.  Plus, they pay way way better than seasonal anything
(check glassdoor.com if you want to know more).

One caveat to that path - while it is totally a "foot in the door" at a
company with tons of developers on staff as well, and it is a fabulous
learning opportunity using tools that the industry is using like JIRA,
GitHub, etc, you need to be careful about how you position yourself when
applying.

As a proud support professional who hires people, nothing turns me off more
than someone saying "I'm doing this just as a stepping stone".  It can *be*
a stepping stone, but you need to give your focus to the work at hand and
be willing to stick with it for a year+ if you're going to try it, or else
it's not really worth their time to train and onboard you.

Just my $.02