[PLUG] more desktop issues

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Mon Nov 21 01:14:27 UTC 2016

On 11/20/2016 05:04 PM, Ken Stephens wrote:

> These vague errors all point to cabling. I would get into the desktop
> and unplug and replug ever cable you see.  Especially if this desktop is
> older than a few years.   While inside I would vacuum out all the dust
> and assorted other cruft, too.

I was taught never to run a vacuum cleaner over a circuit board since
the air flowing through the vacuum nozzle could cause a buildup of
static electricity, which could damage the electronics. Has that old
rule changed?

Instead use canned air to blow the dust out. Also, if it's really dusty,
take the box outside to someplace you won't mind the dust being blown.
Of course, do this when it's not raining. :-)

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens