[PLUG] More desktop issues

Don Buchholz buchholz at easystreet.net
Tue Nov 22 19:28:18 UTC 2016

On 11/22/2016 10:56 AM, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> The latest in this saga is that the machine appears to be functioning
> normally.  Two possible reasons:
>
> 1.  I opened the case, cleaned out some dust, and reseated the sata cable
> to the hard drive.  The dust in my opinion was not bad.  Checks of
> temperatures and voltages never looked suspect.  So if this was responsible
> for the fix (assuming it stays fixed!) it was likely the sata connection.
>
> 2. During most of the boots into recovery mode I chose dpkg (repair broken
> packages).  After rebooting the last time I checked the "updater".  It
> reported "security updates for current hardware enablement stack ended on
> 2016-08-04: *http://wiki.ubuntu.com/1404_HWE_EOL".  I chose install.  Then
> restart.  Every time I have run the  dpkg option during the recovery there
> were errors reported, but the text flew by so fast that I could not capture
> them.  I will be studying the logs to see if I can get any clues, but it
> would likely take a more knowledgeable brain than mine to decipher the
> messages.
>
> Thanks for the many suggestions.
>
> Until the next failure--
>
> -Denis

Denis,

To capture all the text (and control characters, etc. ...)

         # script <optional_filename>
         #    run_command
         #    run_another_command
         #  exit          (.... or just [Ctrl-D])

If you run script(1) w/o a filename option, it will create a file
named "typescript" in the current directory.  After exiting that
shell, you can view, grep, .... on the log/script file and never
have to worry that so many lines have passed by that you've
overrun your screen/terminal's line buffer.

- Don