[PLUG] More desktop issues

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 21:56:52 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Don Buchholz <buchholz at easystreet.net>
wrote:

> On 11/22/2016 10:56 AM, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> > The latest in this saga is that the machine appears to be functioning
> > normally.  Two possible reasons:
> >
> > 1.  I opened the case, cleaned out some dust, and reseated the sata cable
> > to the hard drive.  The dust in my opinion was not bad.  Checks of
> > temperatures and voltages never looked suspect.  So if this was
> responsible
> > for the fix (assuming it stays fixed!) it was likely the sata connection.
> >
> > 2. During most of the boots into recovery mode I chose dpkg (repair
> broken
> > packages).  After rebooting the last time I checked the "updater".  It
> > reported "security updates for current hardware enablement stack ended on
> > 2016-08-04: *http://wiki.ubuntu.com/1404_HWE_EOL".  I chose install.
> Then
> > restart.  Every time I have run the  dpkg option during the recovery
> there
> > were errors reported, but the text flew by so fast that I could not
> capture
> > them.  I will be studying the logs to see if I can get any clues, but it
> > would likely take a more knowledgeable brain than mine to decipher the
> > messages.
> >
> > Thanks for the many suggestions.
> >
> > Until the next failure--
> >
> > -Denis
>
> Denis,
>
> To capture all the text (and control characters, etc. ...)
>
>          # script <optional_filename>
>          #    run_command
>          #    run_another_command
>          #      ...
>          #  exit          (.... or just [Ctrl-D])
>
> If you run script(1) w/o a filename option, it will create a file
> named "typescript" in the current directory.  After exiting that
> shell, you can view, grep, .... on the log/script file and never
> have to worry that so many lines have passed by that you've
> overrun your screen/terminal's line buffer.
>
> - Don

I booted the current kernel in recovery mode.  I was presented with a
window with a number of options.  One of the options is dpkg: repair
packages.  Choosing this option is what generates the screens of data.  How
do I apply your suggestion to this situation? What is the current
directory? How do I get to a terminal from this window?

Thanks,
-Denis