[PLUG] CUPS and Brother MFC-7820N

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Fri Nov 25 23:44:52 UTC 2016

I'm trying to get my Ubuntu 14.04 machine to work correctly with my
Brother MFC-7820N printer. CUPS finds the printer on the network. Using
either of the two drivers CUPS can see -- BR-Script3 (en) or
Foomatic/Postscript (en) --  I get the following printout:

ERROR NAME;
     configurationerror
COMMAND;
     setpagedevice
OPERAND STACK;
     --dicttype--

I Googled that error message and found a number of sites that recommend
not using either of the above mentioned drivers, but to run:

sudo apt-get install brother-lpr-drivers-laser brother-cups-wrapper-laser

which I did. However, when I try to add the printer I don't find that
driver in the list. There is a CUPS option to Provide a PPD File, and a
button to browse to the file. Nothing in the process I followed tells me
where to find that PPD file. Am I looking for the right thing, or did I
miss some other step?

Thanks.

--
Regards,