[PLUG] printing cost estimates

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 23:52:39 UTC 2016

Many folks here have touted the benefits of laser jet over ink jet.  I
concur for a variety of reasons: cost of supplies and HP's nasty ways of
forcing people to use only their ink.  So I have been looking into the
costs for my particular low-use situation.  From data over the last two
years,  I estimate my usage to be about 123 color and 425 black pages per
year.  It costs about $67 per year for the ink.

A Brother MFC9340DCW was recommended here.  Assuming my usage remains the
same I estimate the toner would cost $25 per year on a sustained basis, but
I would likely not use up the original cartridges, so maybe I should
consider the toner costs to be zero.

This places my savings at $67/yr minus interest on $300.

Now I would have to restructure the desk I am using--the Brother would not
fit without some creative carpentry.  So I wonder if it would be worth the
bother.  The financial benefit is not the only driver for such low usage.
Am I leaving something out, such as print quality?

-Denis