[PLUG] Identifying 32-bit only applications

Ben Koenig techkoenig at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 14:55:23 UTC 2016

Use the ldd command.

ldd $BINARY

Libraries that the specified file links to will be printed to the screen.
Libraries in /usr/lib are 32bit.

On Oct 19, 2016 7:50 AM, "Rich Shepard" <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

   In preparation for replacing my still-reliable 32-bit (AMD Athlon(tm) II
X2 255 Processor) server/workstation with a much newer 64-bit word-size host
I would like to identify 32-bit-only applications and tools. Over the past
couple of decades I've installed and used non-distributional (and
non-SlackBuilds.org) applications and tools and I've no idea which ones
would require the compatibility libraries if I want to install them on the
new machine.

   Is there a linux utility suitable for this job? How do I identify which
files in /bin, /usr/bin/, /usr/local/bin/, etc. are only 32-bit ones?

TIA,