[PLUG] PLUG Digest, Vol 145, Issue 13

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 20:34:08 UTC 2016

> Folks,
> I just did a update to a RPi B+. Before I did the update all was working
> just fine, after doing so I lost my network connection (wifi) I can see the
> interfaces but no IP. I plug in a ethernet cable, but do not see the dhcp
> client pulling an address, I reboot the RPi, and then I get addresses on
> both the wired and wireless side. I figure that all was OK so I pull the
> wired side, within seconds both ports have lost their IP addresses. I can
> see in the syslog where it happens, for some reason looks like the dhcp
> client is removing BOTH addresses, even worse in order to get a link back
> I have to reboot the thing.

I found this thread,
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=110692. from this
past May. It seems there was a change to DHCP that might be the culprit.

Here's the relevant thread:

"by *drice
<https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=128510>*
»
Mon May 18, 2015 7:39 pm

Edit /etc/dhcpcd.conf

Comment out duid and uncomment clientid.

Save the file and restart the service or the whole Pi.

It looks like they recently changed this so that instead of sending the MAC
address to the DHCP server it is sending the DHCPv6 DUID which is not the
same and some routers can't handle at all. I suppose this is technically
RFC4361 compliant but it breaks existing DHCP reservations."

Curious to know if that's the problem. HTH.

Cheers!