[PLUG] PLUG Digest, Vol 145, Issue 13

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 21:59:27 UTC 2016

Weird, I did all of that and I am getting the same thing. If I start the
RPi it will
pull IP's for both eth0 and wlan0, as soon as I unplug eth0 both of them go
away.

The dhcpcd file has clientid available and duid as #duid so it is not
visible. But
looking at the syslog trace it looks like it may be doing so anyhow.

I can drop a trace on here but it will be a wee bit long.

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 1:34 PM, Mike C. <mconnors1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Folks,
> > I just did a update to a RPi B+. Before I did the update all was working
> > just fine, after doing so I lost my network connection (wifi) I can see
> the
> > interfaces but no IP. I plug in a ethernet cable, but do not see the dhcp
> > client pulling an address, I reboot the RPi, and then I get addresses on
> > both the wired and wireless side. I figure that all was OK so I pull the
> > wired side, within seconds both ports have lost their IP addresses. I can
> > see in the syslog where it happens, for some reason looks like the dhcp
> > client is removing BOTH addresses, even worse in order to get a link back
> > I have to reboot the thing.
> >

> I found this thread,
> https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=110692. from this
> past May. It seems there was a change to DHCP that might be the culprit.
>
> Here's the relevant thread:
>
> "by *drice
> <https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/memberlist.php?mode=
> viewprofile&u=128510>*
> »
> Mon May 18, 2015 7:39 pm
>
> Edit /etc/dhcpcd.conf
>
> Comment out duid and uncomment clientid.
>
> Save the file and restart the service or the whole Pi.
>
> It looks like they recently changed this so that instead of sending the MAC
> address to the DHCP server it is sending the DHCPv6 DUID which is not the
> same and some routers can't handle at all. I suppose this is technically
> RFC4361 compliant but it breaks existing DHCP reservations."
>
> Curious to know if that's the problem. HTH.
>
> Cheers!

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.