[PLUG] Which linuxquestions.org forum most appropriate?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Oct 23 15:08:01 UTC 2016

   Yesterday I received a used Lenovo ThinkPad x200 and tried to install
Slackware-14.2/x86_64 on it using my external optical drive.

   The system booted off the distribution DVD (after I set up the BIOS to
look at the optical drive first), cfdisk allowed me to partition the drive,
and setup allowed me to assign sda1 to /, sda2 to swap, and sda3 to /home.
Nothing to see here, move along. So I did.

   Choosing to run a full installation I pressed the [Enter] key. No optical
drive spinup, and a message box displayed telling me the installation is
complete and I can reboot the computer. Well, no. Nothing was installed.

   Not having this experience before, I posted a description of the problem
in the Laptops and Notebooks forum on linuxquestions.org. There have been
168 voyeurs and one response to my question about designating sda1 bootable.
Nothing about why no istallation when the drive is seen by the system and
works as expected until time to install everything.

   Might I see useful responses if I repost to either the Slackware or
ThinkPad fora instead of where it is? I'd like to get this done today as all
my portables are currently down and I need to get them all back in working
order.