[PLUG] Where to ask strange Linux questions?

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Fri Oct 28 13:42:55 UTC 2016

On 10/28/2016 4:24 AM, wes wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 1:09 AM, Richard Owlett <rowlett at cloud85.net> wrote:
>
>> On 10/27/2016 5:26 PM, wes wrote:
>>> superuser.com and serverfault.com have a culture similar to what you
>>> describe.
>>
>> Don't know whether to laugh or cry, but no to both ;<
>> But it does illustrate a recurrent problem, usually classed as
>> having posed
>> an "XY Problem".
>>
>> May I quote my original post ;/
>> "Is there a mailing list or USENET forum with a culture that ..."
>>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> Avoidance of web based fora was the primary reason for my
>> carefully chosen phrasing. Also I suspect the "voting
>> for 'best' answer" aspect might be counter-productive. Some
>> of the most useful responses I've received have been from
>>  their own. Does that make sense? ???
>

> if you limit your sources of information, you limit the information
> available to you. your reasoning for avoiding these resources is not
> logical, though that is certainly your right.
>
> I hope you find what you're looking for.

I find web fora essentially inaccessible and often censored.

With mailing lists or USENET viewed with SeaMonkey I can:
   view titles to >30 threads at a time, superuser.com <= 4
   browse threads weeks/months at a time, superuser.com hours/day
at a time

Mailing lists and USENET resemble a library with an "open stacks"
policy.
Web fora resemble a library with a "closed stacks" policy.

http://superuser.com/tour explicitly states:
    "This site is all about getting answers.
     *It's not a discussion forum.* " [Emphasis added]
That would apparently CENSOR what I was referring to when I said:
    "Some of the most useful responses I've received have been
     from responses to side issues raised by others that had a
     life of their own."

I think this illustrates why I am occasionally told That is an
"XY Problem" ;/

Thank you for your time.