[PLUG] Keyboard mapping

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 06:42:52 UTC 2016

John,
The X300 keyboard I listed does not show up in the list of Thinkpad
keyboards.
I am thinking that all I may have to do is modify the following file:
/usr/share/X11/xkb/geometry/thinkpad. It has a list of keyboards in it but
the
one for the X300 is not in there. Now if I can just figure out what I need
to add
to it to get the proper key layout  I will be in good shape.

I am looking at the XKB symbols files, and trying to make sense of it.

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 10:27 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>
wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 21:38:14 -0700
> Chuck Hast <wchast at gmail.com> dijo:
>
> >Folks,
> >I purchased a Spanish keyboard for my X300. I have installed it, and
> >so far not too
> >bad, but some of the keyboard mapping is giving me the wrong
> >characters. Here is
> >what I have purchased for this machine:
> >IBM Lenovo X300 Spanish Teclado Español Keyboard 42T3628 42T3595
>
> There are numerous 'Spanish' keyboards:
>         Spain
>         Mexico
>         Latin America
> Each maps the dead keys to different locations, e.g., in Mexico all
> they need is the virgulilla for the n, the diéresis for the u, and the
> acento for the vowels. The Latin America keyboard includes virgulillas
> for the vowels to accommodate Portuguese, and the Spanish keyboard
> includes options for accent grave et circumflex for French.
>
> I know where to access the GUI options in an Xfce desktop GUI, but I
> know the location in the GUI for other desktops is different, so I
> can't tell you exactly where to set the options. All I can day is that
> they are there somewhere.

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.