[PLUG] Invoking ssh-agent in Slackware

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sun Oct 30 22:05:30 UTC 2016

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich> On Sun, 30 Oct 2016, Robert Citek wrote:
>> Good luck and let us know what works for you.

Rich>    Still seeking this goal. :-)

Rich>    After modifying ~/.bash_profile to invoke ssh-agent I sourced
Rich> the file, then tried ssh-add which did not work:

Rich> $ ssh-add Enter passphrase for /home/rshepard/.ssh/id_ed25519:
Rich> Could not add identity "/home/rshepard/.ssh/id_ed25519": agent
Rich> refused operation

Rich>    Searching for this error (without the string in quotes) using
Rich> duckduckgo produced many hits on running ssh-add, but none
Rich> explicitiy explaining the cause of this error message. The man
Rich> page does not offer an option of specifying which identity to use
Rich> (I have only the one).

Rich>    Google finds many hits (primarily Ubuntu users) about missing
Rich> identities when running ssh-add, but none (on the first page of
Rich> hits) about ssh-add refusing to add an existing identity.

Rich>    Would be nice to learn why.

My wild guess would be you typed the wrong passphrase.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net