[PLUG] Invoking ssh-agent in Slackware [FIXED]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Oct 31 12:40:35 UTC 2016

On Sun, 30 Oct 2016, Rich Shepard wrote:

> $ ssh-add
> Enter passphrase for /home/rshepard/.ssh/id_ed25519:
> Could not add identity "/home/rshepard/.ssh/id_ed25519": agent refused
> operation

   I mis-understood the ssh-add man page. Invoked as 'ssh-add' it does not
seek any or all identities, but doesn't find any that match the passphrase.

   Re-reading Robert's message I saw that he explicitly specifies the
identity file name. I just did this, and my passphrase was accepted:

$ ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_ed25519
Enter passphrase for /home/rshepard/.ssh/id_ed25519:
Identity added: /home/rshepard/.ssh/id_ed25519 (rshepard at salmo)

   Although I read the man page several times I mis-interpreted how to
correctly issue the command. This is another lesson learned.

Thanks, all who responded,