[PLUG] Slackware 14.1 IPX

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 00:29:44 UTC 2016

On 09/09/2016 03:10 PM, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> I want to implement an IPX router on a Slackware 14.1 based gateway.
>
> Currently, an old 98se/XP Pro machine uses two network cards.  One
> card bypasses the gateway and runs IPX only.  The other card does
> IPv4 to the gateway.  It would be preferable to remove the second
> network card from the Windows machine.
>
> I know back in the Redhat 6.2 days that IPX networking was well
> supported.  Do the tools compile today?  Where do I Linux-3 and
> Linux-4 compatible source code for the IPX tools?

On your Slackware box, look for:
/usr/doc/Linux-HOWTOs/IPX-HOWTO

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/nag2/x-087-2-ipx.html

The ipx kernel modules are still present in 14.1 and 14.2. You may need
to double check the kernel kernel config for any options you will need
to use and recompile the kernel.

Looks like the ipx the userspace tools ftp site comes up as a "reported
attack site" in Firefox.  Weird.
Ah, here ya go:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/system/filesystems/ncpfs/
http://ftp.kaiser.cz/linux/ipx/src/

ipx-1.1 compiles on my Slackware64-14.2 box, but no idea if they work ;-)

You may also want to search/post on Linuxquestions.org as the Slackware
sub-forum is the official Slackware support forum. Someone there may
have already done the leg work (such as adding and modifying the
/etc/rc.d init scripts.

-Ed