[PLUG] Joy++

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 14 23:07:10 UTC 2016

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016, chris (fool) mccraw wrote:

>  When I log into my Xenix system with my 110 baud teletype, both vi
>  *and* Emacs are just too damn slow.  They print useless messages like,
>  'C-h for help' and '"foo" File is read only'.  So I use the editor
>  that doesn't waste my VALUABLE time.

>  Ed, man!  !man ed

   Yeah, and in the early 1960s I fed paper tape into a Burroughs mainframe,
in the early 1970s I fed 80-column Hollerith cards into the IBM S/360, and in the
late 1970s I used a Teletype terminal and Diablo typewriter/printer. Using
ed is like flipping logic switches on the front of the computer to program
it.

   Now is much better. Both emacs and vi do the job; pick the one you like.