[PLUG] Defining external hd in /etc/fstab

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 18:39:14 UTC 2016

On 09/25/2016 10:48 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    I have an external 3T hard drive connected to hosts via a usb cable. In
> /etc/fstab I defined it as
>
>  	 /dev/sdb  /mnt/hd  ext3  auto,users,rw  0  0
>
> but only root can mount it. I assume that it's the ext3 file type
> restricting mounting to root. Is there a specification that would allow
> users to mount the drive?
>
> Rich

Rich

The file types don't prevent user mount.  The mount options can. try
"noauto,rw,user" instead.  "auto' can trigger a root mount (and via
udev) even if not present that overrides the user.  "user" just allows
the currently logged in user to mount and is more secure.  Also.
consider using the drive's UUID instead of /dev/sdX as the dev nodes for
USB drives are not guaranteed to survive reboot.

http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:slackware_admin:how_to_configure_fstab_and_lilo.conf_with_persistent_naming