[PLUG] HP fine for me ... Re: Another reason ...

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Sep 25 22:07:04 UTC 2016

On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 02:44:13PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> FWIW, I buy refilled HP laser cartridges for both the LJ-5
> monochome and 2550L color at Cartridge World and they've
> all worked great for me.

I've settled on an ancient HP4050n for cheap black-and-white
(sadly, it won't do postscript 3, default for some apps),
and the venerable duplexing HP2605dn for color.   I have
3 HP2605dn's deployed and one nearly-brand-new spare
(plucked out of a scrap heap with 40 prints on it).
I have good luck with Brand X toner cartridges from
Cartridge Network in Raleigh Hills, and enjoy verbal
sparring with the owner, who reminds me of Rich.

I have 6 HP260x printers in storage as a source of spare
parts (fusers and belts) that I will probably never use.
One was ruined by a very leaky Cartridge World cartridge,
so my mileage, as they say, differs from Rich Shepard's.

If toner gets into the laser and rotating mirror assembly,
it is fiendishly difficult to get inside there and clean
it out, hours of tricky disassembly and reassembly.  That
is my major complaint about the HP260x design.

If anyone is feeling ambitious about fixing HP printers,
or wants some lasers and rotating mirrors and gears and
motors, the printers in storage (sans toner) are available
to anyone willing to drive me from East Beaverton to
Tigard (217 and Greenberg) to pick them up.  Otherwise,
they get recycled Real Soon Now.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com