[PLUG] booting from RAID1 problems

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Sep 28 06:00:43 UTC 2016

Don> My first guess is that the motherboards are sufficiently different
Don> that the initramfs for the old one doesn't contain the correct
Don> driver modules for the new one.

Russell> I like that guess.

Russell> In fact, I took apart the initrd file and discovered
Russell> conf/modules listing sata_nv.  The old motherboard is an AMD
Russell> board and had nvidia sata controller, iirc.  The new box is
Russell> Intel.  The live-ubuntu doesn't load any SATA modules.  I
Russell> thought the initrd's were pretty generic, but maybe not.

Yeah, this worked, from the live-ubuntu:

apt-get install mdadm
mdadm -A -R /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1
mount /dev/md0 /mnt
cd /mnt
mount -t proc proc proc/
mount -t sysfs sys sys/
mount -o bind /dev dev/
cd /
chroot /mnt
update-initramfs -u
dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
exit
umount /mnt/proc
umount /mnt/sys
umount /mnt/dev
umount /mnt
reboot

I had to fix up some filesystem brokenness on the first boot, but
everything working again.  Thanks for the cluestick, Don!

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net