[PLUG] Which version of MATE are folks using?

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Mon Apr 3 14:58:00 UTC 2017

I've been running Ubuntu 14 on my desktop machine, and 16 on a laptop. I
tried using Unity, but couldn't get into it, so I run Gnome fallback.
While vaguely aware of it, I hadn't thought of using MATE, although I
think I have that in stalled on an old (2006) laptop that won't run
newer software. Linux Mint provided a version that still works with my
old hardware. Anyway, I have a new desktop machine that I haven't
finished setting up (for several months). I started it out on Ubuntu 16
with Gnome fallback, but found a number of things wouldn't install
without fiddling, which I haven't had time to do. I'm looking at having
some time in the next couple of months, and will probably start over
with some version of MATE. I started researching it yesterday and
discovered I'm mispronouncing MATE as mate (like a ship's mate). Now I
understand it's pronounced mah-tay, which is a South American plant used
to make a tea.

So, to get to the question, which version of MATE are folks using? I see
a list at https://mate-desktop.org/ that includes Linux Mint, which I
know about, and also Ubuntu MATE, which I wasn't aware of. I'm happy
with the Debian approach to software installation, such as apt and
Synaptic, and would just as soon stay with those. What version(s) do any
of you use that you're happy with?

Thanks.

--
Regards,