[PLUG] Which version of MATE are folks using?

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 16:26:23 UTC 2017

I am using Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, but I replace Marco with Compiz because I like
(really like) my cube... Beyond that it is pretty tame and gives few
problems.

One thing is to make sure you purge ALL of the .files out of your home
directory,
otherwise you may see some funnies. Back them up somewhere and then ins-
tall, then replace the ones you need for particular apps, if you are moving
from
either Mate distro or Ubuntu some of those old .files will cause some
strange
stuff.

I use apt and Synaptic all of the time, after I do an install the first
thing I do is
install Synaptic if it has not been done by the install.

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:

> I've been running Ubuntu 14 on my desktop machine, and 16 on a laptop. I
> tried using Unity, but couldn't get into it, so I run Gnome fallback.
> While vaguely aware of it, I hadn't thought of using MATE, although I
> think I have that in stalled on an old (2006) laptop that won't run
> newer software. Linux Mint provided a version that still works with my
> old hardware. Anyway, I have a new desktop machine that I haven't
> finished setting up (for several months). I started it out on Ubuntu 16
> with Gnome fallback, but found a number of things wouldn't install
> without fiddling, which I haven't had time to do. I'm looking at having
> some time in the next couple of months, and will probably start over
> with some version of MATE. I started researching it yesterday and
> discovered I'm mispronouncing MATE as mate (like a ship's mate). Now I
> understand it's pronounced mah-tay, which is a South American plant used
> to make a tea.
>
> So, to get to the question, which version of MATE are folks using? I see
> a list at https://mate-desktop.org/ that includes Linux Mint, which I
> know about, and also Ubuntu MATE, which I wasn't aware of. I'm happy
> with the Debian approach to software installation, such as apt and
> Synaptic, and would just as soon stay with those. What version(s) do any
> of you use that you're happy with?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.