[PLUG] Which version of MATE are folks using?

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Mon Apr 3 16:53:55 UTC 2017

On 04/03/2017 09:58 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> [SNIP preamble]
> So, to get to the question, which version of MATE are folks using?
> I see
> a list at https://mate-desktop.org/ that includes Linux Mint, which I
> know about, and also Ubuntu MATE, which I wasn't aware of. I'm happy
> with the Debian approach to software installation, such as apt and
> Synaptic, and would just as soon stay with those. What version(s) do
> any of you use that you're happy with?

I use Debian Jessie with "Package: mate-desktop-environment (1.8.0+9)"
see https://packages.debian.org/jessie/mate-desktop-environment .

One who likes to say "He lives out past Estacada, even" referred me to
Ubuntu. I found that to not be a comfortable fit and went with Debian
Squeeze (uses Gnome2). When Wheezy came out it defaulted to the !$!%$#
known as Gnome3. That abortion caused me to not upgrade until Squeeze
which made MATE available.

The version I run has some known documentation issues which reportedly
been addressed in the next Debian release. Operationally there have been
no problems.

All other desktops should surrender.
Who *ME* opinionated. "Owl" ducks fer cover ;/
GO fer it ;/