[PLUG] Which version of MATE are folks using?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Apr 3 18:07:55 UTC 2017

On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 07:58:00AM -0700, Dick Steffens wrote:
> So, to get to the question, which version of MATE are folks using?

I use Mate version 1.16 from the EPEL repository.  Mate
is NOT officially supplied with Red Hat Enterprise Linux
or the clone that I use, Scientific Linux.  Red Hat pushes
Gnome 3 pretty strongly, which is more like a video game
than a work environment, IMHO.

Mate seems incomplete, but is a better approximation of
the Gnome 2 work environment than anything else.  Gnome
2 is no longer supportable, since the underlying GTK
libraries and distros have evolved without backwards
compatibility.

No clue about which (if any?) distros feature Mate as
their primary desktop environment.  I worry about Mate's
long term support; if the principal contributors find
"real jobs" someday, I may be S.O.L.  I imagine that's
how Gnome 3 wandered off into the weeds.

I send money to the Mate project sometimes.  I hope that
encourages persistence.

If I had ten million dollars, I would hire Miguel de Icaza
to lead a Gnome palace revolution.  Then he would hire a
team to make Mate into a bulletproof Gnome 4, while making
Gnome 3 into the new Microsoft desktop, sinking both.

Keith

P.S.  If I had ten million dollars, I would need a hundred
million dollars to do all the great projects I can imagine
doing with ten million dollars.  Sigh.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com