[PLUG] Which version of MATE are folks using?

Nat Taylor bioborg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 02:16:10 UTC 2017

I have looked at LXDE.  It was nice and shiny on Lubuntu, pretty slick.
The default arch install wasn't quite as slick, I didn't sit around and try
to customize it and make it look better.  I think it looked ok on Debian,
maybe better on the Siduction distro?  I didn't like their LXQT that much,
wasn't polished yet, and the icons looked old.  I just kinda thought the
default install of XFCE looked a little slicker than LXDE.  I do like it
when there's that mac-like icon dock (conky? docker?  i forget), which I
have seen on both distros.  I know a lot of thats all theming, but a nice
default theme goes a long way with me.  That said, LXDE is faster than
XFCE, and I would definitely choose it first on a computer that lacked cpu
cycles.  Lubuntu is a fine distro to put on someone's old laptop if you
don't want to field a lot of tech support questions, but for myself, I
prefer arch and arch derivatives, although next time I think I might go for
Arch Anywhere or something if i don't feel like installing it the Arch
way.  Debian would be my next choice for a desktop, and I have to admit I
like a lot of the customizations in Ubuntu Server, like their slick byobu
setup.

I ramble slightly off topic, so I'm gonna go install arch anywhere in a vm
and see how that goes.  The torrent came down at a respectable 7MB/sec, so
it took less time than to type this message!