[PLUG] Gparted questions

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Wed Apr 5 04:32:30 UTC 2017

Denis recently had a problem with insufficient space remaining on his
boot partition. I didn't participate in the discussion because I didn't
have any suggestions, plus I thought it wouldn't be a problem for me.
Well, I was wrong. I've just been bitten by the same thing. I used
'sudo apt-get autoremove' and I now have about 1.4 GB free on Boot, so
I'm OK for the time being, but I need to do a more serious repair.

My Xubuntu 14.04 is installed on a 512GB mSATA drive which is
partitiioned:

	25GB	Boot
	59GB	Free space
	Home	350GB
	46GB	Free space

I set it up this way when I originally installed the OS because I
thought I might one day want to install a second OS and dual boot. That
hasn't happened and now I doubt that it ever will. I'd like to add about
half of the first free space (59GB) to Boot and the remainder to Home.
And Home is currently about 70% used, so I'd like to add all of the
second free space to Home as well.

Can Gparted do this without messing up Boot and Home? And am I correct
in assuming that if I can do this with Gparted I will need to do it
with a bootable DVD or USB stick, rather than the Gparted that is
currently installed? And would it be more intelligent of me to wait for
the next Clinic to do this? (I think the answer to the last question is
'yes,' considering that it is only 12 days from now.)