[PLUG] USB enclosures

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 16:36:48 UTC 2017

Exactly, most of my electrical work has been industrial, one receptacle per
breaker type work. When I went in to redo the home in Tampa, I found as
many as 6 receptacles per breaker, needless to say I fixed that because of
the same issue, wife can always find the receptacle that has a big load on
it and plug something else in and toss the breaker. So when I rewired it I
put
one receptacle/breaker. 12Ga wire and 20 amp service to all of them, used
industrial grade receptacles (20amp) so had no issues with her doing her
thing on ONE but each had its own breaker. The lighting I put on a separate
panel as I was planning on that being the first part to go solar. I had
moved
to all CFL and was starting to move to LED. I had the power consumption
for lighting down to 400 watts with both all inside and outside (had some
150W
CFLs) normal operations, I would see between 25 and 50W of pull with a
normal set of lights on in the home at any given time. Most of the time it
was
at or below the 25W level.

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 8:15 AM, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:

> On 04/06/2017 07:56 AM, Chuck Hast wrote:
> > Yea, I keep on forgetting that for a lot of things out here you need a
> > permit. The
> > one thing I miss about FL. I replaced all of the wiring in one house had
> > good
> > electrician friend come over took a look at it said it was ABOVE spec and
> > gave
> > it his blessing. I understand when it is a commercial job or something
> like
> > a res-
> > idential rewire ( I was getting my place ready to add solar panels and
> > separate
> > the low power consumption parts from the high power consumers) but even
> > then to demand a permit for everything is just way beyond what I see as
> > good.
> >
> > Bureaucracy run wild.
>
> There's a good side to the permit/inspection bureaucracy, as well as the
> annoying side. It's an insurance plus to have had a permit/inspection if
> something goes wrong down the road. On the other hand, I know that some
> things that are "to code" aren't as good as what I want. And while what
> I want isn't against the code, it's also not what a typical electrician
> would do. Back in the '90s my wife and I volunteered with Habitat for
> Humanity on a project in Aloha. A retired Westinghouse electrical
> engineer (power) was the site supervisor, and an electrician who was a
> member of the sponsoring church consulted. After a little instruction on
> things I had never done (heavy cable and the use of the grease on the
> connection fittings) we wired 10 houses from the meter base on the side
> of the house in. The engineer and I designed the wiring so that there
> were two different 20 amp circuits in each of the four bedrooms. (Not
> that there were just the two outlets in that room were the only outlets
> on one circuit. The same two circuits served two rooms.) This was done
> because the typical family had six or more members, (Mom, Dad, and four
> kids) and one bathroom. So there could be up to four or five hair driers
> running in the morning. Anyway, Habitat had an electrical contractor
> wire another one of the houses. The electricians didn't follow our plan,
> but did their typical run. That put too many outlets on one circuit for
> the need. It was to code, but not what was needed. So, yes. A good idea
> to make sure the wiring meets code, but being able to do it yourself so
> you get what you want is a major benefit.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.