[PLUG] Perl-5.24.1 on CentOS 7.1.3

Michael Christopher Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Fri Apr 7 19:30:14 UTC 2017

#!/bin/bash
#
# Configure perl-5.24.1 source code according to Linux From Scratch...

sh Configure -des -Dprefix=/usr/local          \
                  -Dvendorprefix=/usr/local    \
                  -Dpager="/usr/bin/less -isR" \
                  -Dusrshrplib                 \
                  -Dusethreads

yum erase perl

The latter gets rid of the stock perl, enscript, and vim-enhanced.
Losing vim-enhanced is annoying, losing enscript may be a problem,
and losing stock Perl shouldn't be a problem unless I need stock
something that brings stock perl back.

Question, Does the above configure for perl 5.24.1 keep perl
out of the standard locations that belong to the stock perl???
I've learned with CentOS that force uninstalling stock perl
and force reinstalling vim-enhanced after source installing
perl is a bad idea.  A better idea is to rpm install a custom
perl, but I don't know how to roll a custom rpm.

Is there something else that's needed to ensure that the source
compiled perl is used by source compiled apache, php, openssl,
etcetera?  If the stock perl comes back, I want to make sure
that I'm using the right one with say a custom compiled Apache.
I am asking about the likely situation that there will be
multiple perls where I want CPAN to work with the source
compiled perl and NOT the CentOS 7.1.3 perl.  I need to be
able to explicitly choose which Perl to use potentially.

I'm compiling in a virtualbox virtual machine.  This is a test
environment where I'm hoping to tar up /usr/local when I'm done
and unpack the tarball under /usr/local on the production system.

I'm starting with Perl as that appears to be the first package needed
in a custom LAPP, Linux Apache Perl PHP stack.  I'm using PostgreSQL,
so I need to install at least client libraries to match my back end
server.

If I can do this carefully, I should be able if needed to fall back to
the stock packages for setting up a Horde Webmail server.  Oh, how do I
set a custom pear up so that pear works with /usr/local and doesn't
override stock pear and stock php if it's installed?