[PLUG] Clinic Sunday! And fix my storage!

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Tue Apr 11 03:05:27 UTC 2017

As discussed at length in a recent thread I need more storage space. I
have bought some new equipment that I was going to install myself, and
it has all arrived: 3 WD 8TB red pro drives, and a Mediasonic 2-bay
USB 3.0 enclosure. But on second thought I wonder if it might be more
clever of me to do it at the Clinic this Sunday April 16 (1:00 to 5:00
at Free Geek).

Current equipment:
Synology DS216j 2-bay NAS with one 6TB WD red pro drive
Toshiba 5TB USB 3.0 drive (primary storage)
New configuration:
Synology DS216j 2-bay NAS with two 8TB WD red pro drives in Raid0
Mediasonic 2-bay USB 3.0 enclosure with the 6TB drive from the Synology
	and one extra new 8TB WD red pro drive, to be primary storage

My plan is to:
1. Make a final backup of the 5TB Toshiba to the 6TB WD currently in the
Synology, using my saved rsync command that makes the WD a mirror of
the Toshiba.
2. Remove the 6TB WD from the Synology and place it in the Mediasonic,
leaving it there for the moment.
3. Add two of the 8TB WD red pro drives to the Synology and configure
them with Raid0 as one 16TB drive.
4. Using the Toshiba as the source, use my rsync command again to make
the 16TB partition in the Synology a new mirror.
5. Add the remaining 8TB WD red pro drive to the Mediasonic, and make
it part of a new 14TB Raid0 drive with the old 6TB WD red pro drive.

In all of this my laptop, which is always with me at the Clinic, is my
primary computer at home where it is connected to the Synology over my
home ethernet and into which the 5TB Toshiba USB drive is plugged.

There are parts of this that I'm not sure how to do. Having experts at
hand might be really helpful. But I'm also not sure about connections
for this equipment. Plugging in the Toshiba USB is not a problem - it's
just a USB drive that should mount on the laptop at the Clinic the same
as it does at home. But the Synology at home is given the IP address of
192.168.1.115 by my router with the name "Synology." It was not a
trivial task to get it mounted on the laptop, and the configuration
would probably be messed up at Free Geek.

Does this sound like something that can be done away from home at the
Clinic? Do I need special network cables? Am I crazy?