[PLUG] Tarnished chromium

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Apr 11 12:52:04 UTC 2017

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017, Chuck Hast wrote:

> To me Semantec handing out certs is kind of like the fox tending to the
> hen house...

Chuck,

   Perhaps it would be better to get users of their certs to switch. There's
not much that those of us on the sticky end of the lollypop can do about it.

   So chromium says, "bad! bad!," do we just respond with a shrug and go to a
local bank branch to ask for information about our accounts?

   The entire Web is fraught with vulnerabilities. Consider all the ATM
skimmers around the world, the hacked POS terminals and processors, and the
success of phishing in gaining access to accounts (e.g., yahoo) and money
(Bangladesh's central bank). All out of our control.

   Too often lifting a leg on large companies, or those who insist on not
changing from We've Alwasy Done It This Way, is a waste of good urine.
Telling me as an end-user that chromium is more conservative about accepting
the real world does not not make my life easier as the solution is
apparently up to the bank and not me.

Regards,