[PLUG] Tarnished chromium

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 14:58:47 UTC 2017

Rich,
Yeah, all true. I guess I just had some very bad experiences with Symantec
and when I see what they were doing it just reinforces my sentiments.

In the case of the bank that is the exact solution excep that it appears
that my
bank has done something about it, I used to see the things and would back
off, but it was only for a short while and I pointed it out to the IT
people at the
bank, as I am sure others did too. It was corrected in days, at that time
did
not know what it was, but someone did as they fixed it.

The question to me is how many more of these things are out there, probably
a lot but at the same time I am going to try to not lose any sleep over it.

I will back off and find another solution that is the field service/pilot
in me, in
both professions you do not have the option of stopping. The issue has to
be fixed somehow, and so I go on. Still Symantec causes me a bad reaction,
just have to press on and not worry about it.

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 5:52 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Apr 2017, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> > To me Semantec handing out certs is kind of like the fox tending to the
> > hen house...
>
> Chuck,
>
>    Perhaps it would be better to get users of their certs to switch.
> There's
> not much that those of us on the sticky end of the lollypop can do about
> it.
>
>    So chromium says, "bad! bad!," do we just respond with a shrug and go
> to a
> local bank branch to ask for information about our accounts?
>
>    The entire Web is fraught with vulnerabilities. Consider all the ATM
> skimmers around the world, the hacked POS terminals and processors, and the
> success of phishing in gaining access to accounts (e.g., yahoo) and money
> (Bangladesh's central bank). All out of our control.
>
>    Too often lifting a leg on large companies, or those who insist on not
> changing from We've Alwasy Done It This Way, is a waste of good urine.
> Telling me as an end-user that chromium is more conservative about
> accepting
> the real world does not not make my life easier as the solution is
> apparently up to the bank and not me.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rich

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.