[PLUG] FreeGeek...

benjamin barber starworks5 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 20:06:47 UTC 2017

An internship at FreeGeek will not teach you anything relevant to your
computer science degree. If you would have looked at the trends, you may
have noticed that programming jobs are shrinking.  Furthermore building
websites is a possibility, but there is a plethora of easy wordpress and
wix templates, and alot of the rest of the work has been outsourced and
offshored.  If you have the said degree and have a github of your work, you
may be able to get a job with the said experience. Most of the (good) jobs
in the webdev industry are "software as a service", for example jobs that
automate some process, or provide a service to people willing to pay for
it.

Also knowing how to program is the basics, you also need to have an
understanding of the tools, and how to properly implement the tools.
Network security is one of those jobs where programming is less relevant
than understanding the tools. That is unless you intend on designing the
tools, in which case you may need more than a bachelors, and you will need
to know all sorts of protocols intimately. For example do you know how to
use a software defined radio, in order to spoof a cell phone tower, and try
to MITM the traffic as its being sent, or how you would know you're being
MITM'd?