[PLUG] Tool to identify applications requiring python

Michael Christopher Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Sun Apr 16 21:59:49 UTC 2017

On Sun, 2017-04-16 at 14:47 -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Apr 2017, Richard Owlett wrote:
>
> > If your OS is in Debian family check out apt-rdepends.
>
>    It ain't. I know there's a tool to list required libraries of a
> specific
> application executable and was wondering if there's a tool that's
> less
> specific than that.
>
> Rich

Is there a way with way to determine if a script is valid Python code
like there is with PHP?  If a script is valid Python code, it probably
needs Python.  If you can narrow the need down to Python2 or Python3,
even better.  What OS are you trying to dump Python2 from?  Slackware
these days uses slackpkg which can pull in, at least to some degree,
dependencies.  If however you are looking for a generic Linux
distribution agnostic approach to determining if Python2 is needed
and what needs it, I recommend leveraging syntax checking or something
similar.